Artist + Researcher 2023 Application
The Phoenix Bioscience Core is excited to announce that applications for the 2023 Artist + Research Cohort are officially open! Our first exhibition featured nine artists and researcher teams, which included faculty from all three of Arizona’s public research universities.
The Phoenix Bioscience Core established the Artists + Researchers Program with Phoenix-based Bentley Gallery in 2021 to connect the complex life science research happening on the PBC with a wider audience. Researchers from around the PBC work along side Phoenix-area artists to establish a transformational piece of art that communicates their research in a new medium.
The works of art go on public display as a way of raising the profile of the groundbreaking research happening on the PBC and elevating the artists to a wider audience. You can view the entire 2022 Artist + Researcher exhibit here, and see the work in person at the Health Sciences Education Building on the PBC through October.
Applications for the 2023 cohort are currently open through September 30! If you are interested in applying, click here. Please read the additional information and instructions below before submitting your application. Submission of your application will be taken as acknowledgement of the information below.
Additional information regarding the Artist + Researcher application
If you are a Greater Metropolitan Phoenix artist or a PBC-based researcher and are interested in applying to the 2023 cohort of the Artist + Researcher program, you can apply using the form below. Applications are open from September 12 through September 30, 2022. If you apply and are accepted to the program, please keep in mind the following:
Both artists and researchers have a number of expectations for their participation. These include attending a Meet and Greet with the artists and researchers to find a teammate, participating in regular meetings with their counterpart to complete the collaborative project via Zoom or in person, submit additional information on the completed work in order for the Phoenix Bioscience Core to promote the project, as well as other occasional expectations that may be required for the team. Additionally:
- Must be a published researcher engaged in the biomedical, health care, or life sciences field on the Phoenix Bioscience Core. University affiliation is not required.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Participation will include regular Zoom and in-person meetings with the artist during the collaborative period.
- Researchers will have first priority to purchase their team’s artwork until the public opening.
- Must be based in the Greater Phoenix area.
- Must be a professional artist (regularly sells their artwork).
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must be willing to allow your piece to travel for one year. You have the option to purchase insurance for your work.
- Must provide necessary materials to support the installation and transportation of your work.
- Must provide retail price, dimensions, weight and other material information on your work of art.
- Artwork must be ready for installation at the First Look event, and the artist must provide instructions, hardware, instruments, extension cords and any other material required for the installation or deinstallation of the piece.
- Must agree to allow Bentley Gallery to manage the sale of your piece.
- Agree to a rate of 25 percent of the sale price being directed back to the PBC Arts Committee, which funds this program.
- Has not participated in the program in the past three years.
Tentative 2023 schedule
- September 30th → Application closes
- October 10th → Selected artists & researchers notified; confirm attendance at the Artist + Researcher Speed Dating Meet and Greet.
- November 3rd → Artist + Researcher Speed Dating Meet and Greet–participants identify, in priority order, who they would be interested in collaborating with for the duration of the A+R program.
- November 14th → Artist + Researcher teams notified and introduced to each other.
- December 1st → Artist stipends disbursed.
- December 2022 – July 2023 → Artist + Researcher teams schedule and complete a minimum of four meetings with their teammate.
- April 2023 → Schedule and complete a one-hour studio visit with the A+R Committee.
- August 2023 → First Look Event
- September 2023 → Grand Opening Event
- July 2024 → Closing Event & Celebration at the Bentley Gallery