ARx3 Applications are open!
The Phoenix Bioscience Core established the Artists + Researchers Program with Phoenix-based Bentley Gallery in 2021 to connect the complex life science research happening on the PBC with a wider audience. Researchers from around the PBC work alongside Phoenix-area artists to establish a transformational piece of art that communicates their research in a new medium.
The works of art go on public display as a way of raising the profile of the groundbreaking research happening on the PBC and elevating the artists to a wider audience. You can view Year 2 of the Artist + Researcher exhibit here, and see the work in person at the Health Sciences Education Building on the PBC through December 2023.
Please read the additional information and instructions below before submitting your application. Submission of your application will be taken as acknowledgement of the information below.
Additional Information Regarding The Artist + Researcher Application
If you are a Greater Metropolitan Phoenix artist or a PBC-based researcher and are interested in applying to the 2023 cohort of the Artist + Researcher program, you can apply using the form below. Applications are open from September 15 through October 15, 2023. If you apply and are accepted to the program, please keep in mind the following:
Both artists and researchers have a number of expectations for their participation. These include attending a Meet and Greet with the artists and researchers to find a teammate, participating in regular meetings with their counterpart to complete the collaborative project via Zoom or in person, submit additional information on the completed work in order for the Phoenix Bioscience Core to promote the project, as well as other occasional expectations that may be required for the team. Additionally:
- Must be a published researcher engaged in the biomedical, health care, or life sciences field on the Phoenix Bioscience Core. University affiliation is not required.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Participation will include regular Zoom and in-person meetings with the artist during the collaborative period.
- Researchers will have first priority to purchase their team’s artwork until the public opening.
- Must be based in the Greater Phoenix area.
- Must be a professional artist (meaning regularly sells their artwork).
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must provide retail price, dimensions, weight and other material information on your work of art.
- Must agree to your piece traveling to different locations for one year. Locations & venue limitations will be communicated as soon as they are confirmed. With each location, we require that the artist provides installation instructions for each location and signing contracts with each venue the exhibition travels. If desired, we encourage you to have insurance for your work.
- Must install your piece at the First Look and provide detailed instructions on how to install your piece at each location the exhibition travels to throughout the year.
- Must provide necessary materials to support the installation and transportation of your work.
- Artwork must be ready for installation at the First Look event, and the artist must provide instructions, hardware, instruments, extension cords and any other material required for the installation or deinstallation of the piece.
- Must agree to allow the PBC Arts Committee via the Roosevelt Row CDC the management of the sale of your piece.
- Agree to a rate of 25 percent of the sale price being directed back to the PBC Arts Committee, which funds this program.
- Has not participated in the program in the past three years.
Tentative ARx3 schedule
- October 15th → Application closes
- October 30th → Selected artists & researchers notified; confirm attendance at the Artist + Researcher Speed Dating Meet and Greet.
- November 9th → Artist + Researcher Speed Dating Meet and Greet–participants identify, in priority order, who they would be interested in collaborating with for the duration of the A+R program.
- November 16th → Artist + Researcher teams notified and introduced to each other.
- December 1st → Artist stipends disbursed.
- December 2023 – July 2024 → Artist + Researcher teams schedule and complete a minimum of four meetings with their teammate.
- April 2024 → Schedule and complete a one-hour studio visit with the A+R Committee.
- August/September 2024 → First Look Event
- September 2024 → Grand Opening Event
- July 2025 → Closing Event & Celebration at the Bentley Gallery